With Truthmeter.mk (www.truthmeter.mk), the Metamorphosis Foundation is offering one more tool for increasing the political parties’ responsibility and accountability to the citizens.
Truthmeter.mk’s experts of various scopes are analyzing the promises of the political subjects and presenting them in an easy-to-read and aggregated form, alongside systematic statistic data. Every identified promise is assessed by the level of fulfilment: fulfilled, partially fulfilled or unfulfilled. The promises which are implausible or the ones are given in a way that cannot be assessed are designated inconsistent.
By familiarizing themselves with the promises and the arguments in the explanations, the citizens can learn how to read and interpret the electoral programs and platforms, and they could also monitor and assess how much of the written content is in the Election Programmes and the promises are actually fulfilled.
Truthmeter.mk will continue functioning in the long run and will monitor the fulfilment of winners’ pre-election promises as well as the statements of politicians that can be classified as promises.
Truththmeter.mk’s main objective is to increase the cognizance of the citizens, media and NGOs, but also the cognizance of the parties and their members, who have the opportunity to become familiar with the multiple aspects of the political process in Macedonia.
Truthmeter’s work is supported by the following donors working on democracy development:
- NED – National Endowment for Democracy (ned.org), funded by the US Congress, in the period from April 2011 until June 2020. As of 1 July 2021, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter have started implementing the Fact-Checking the Progress of North Macedonia Towards the EU project, which is also supported by NED.
- BTD – Balkan Trust for Democracy of the German Marshall Fund of the United States (gmfus.org), in the period from July 2017 until June 2018. From 1 June 2021, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter began implementing the Rapid Response to Vaccine Disinformation project, which is also supported by BTD.
- YouTube/IFCN – on 21 August 2020, Truthmeter received a grant for the implementation of the project “Conterspin TV”, which lasted for a period of 6 months (October 2020 – March 2021). The project was supported by the video-sharing social network YouTube, and the awarding of grants was carried out by the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN).
- FOSM – Foundation Open Society – Macedonia (fosm.mk) in the period from July to December 2018.
- In addition, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter started collaborating with the social network Facebook in August 2020, making Truthmeter a partner in the global third-party fact-checking program on this social network in the territory of N. Macedonia, along with dozens of other fact-checking organizations around the world.
By launching Truthmeter in 2011, as well as the previous web app Glasomer.mk (glasomer.mk), Metamorphosis Foundation continued the regional cooperation with the civic associations Why Not from Bosnia and Herzegovina and LiNet from Serbia on the use of new technologies for greater transparency, supported by NED, as part of the democracy development efforts in the region. Metamorphosis continues the cooperation with organizations operating in this field through the ACTION SEE regional network and the global International Fact-Checking Network.