With Truthmeter.mk (www.truthmeter.mk), the Metamorphosis Foundation is offering one more tool for increasing the political parties’ responsibility and accountability to the citizens.
Truthmeter.mk’s experts of various scopes are analyzing the promises of the political subjects and presenting them in an easy-to-read and aggregated form, alongside systematic statistical data. Every identified promise is assessed by the level of fulfillment: fulfilled, partially fulfilled or unfulfilled. The promises which are implausible or the ones given in a way that cannot be assessed are designated inconsistent.
By familiarizing themselves with the promises and the arguments in the explanations, the citizens can learn how to read and interpret the electoral programs and platforms, and they could also monitor and assess how much of the written content is in the Election Programs and the promises are actually fulfilled.
Truthmeter.mk will continue functioning in the long run and will monitor the fulfillment of winners’ pre-election promises, as well as the statements of politicians that can be classified as promises.
Truththmeter.mk’s main objective is to increase the cognizance of the citizens, media and NGOs, but also the cognizance of the parties and their members, who have the opportunity to become familiar with the multiple aspects of the political process in Macedonia.
Truthmeter’s work is supported by the following donors working on democracy development:
- NED – National Endowment for Democracy (ned.org), funded by the US Congress, in the period from April 2011 until October 2023. As of 1 November 2021, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter have started implementing the project “Promoting Access to Reliable News to Counter Disinformation”, which is also supported by NED.
- Embassy of The Netherlands in Skopje, North Macedonia – from 1 November 2021, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter started the implementation of the project “Western Balkans Anti-Disinformation Hub: Exposing Malign Influences through Data-Driven Watchdog Journalism”. The project is implemented in cooperation with partner organizations from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, North Macedonia and Serbia and its implementation will continue throughout the period 2022/23.
- In 2022, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter continued their cooperation with the social network Facebook within the framework of the partnership of the global third-party fact-checking program of this social network on the territory of North Macedonia. The social network Facebook is cooperating with a dozen other fact-checking organizations worldwide and this cooperation will continue in 2023 as well.
- NED – National Endowment for Democracy (ned.org), funded by the US Congress in the period April 2011 to June 2020. From 1 July 2021, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter started implementing the project “Fact-Checking the Progress of North Мacedonia Towards the EU” which is also supported by NED.
- BTD – Balkan Trust for Democracy of the German Marshall Fund of the United States (gmfus.org), in the period from July 2017 until June 2018. From 1 June 2021, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter began implementing the “Rapid Response to Vaccine Disinformation” project, which is also supported by BTD.
- In 2021, Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter continued their cooperation with the social network Facebook within the framework of the partnership of the global third-party fact-checking program of this social network on the territory of North Macedonia along with a dozen other fact-checking organizations worldwide.
- YouTube/IFCN – on 21 August 2020, Truthmeter received a grant for the implementation of the project “Counterspin TV”, which lasted for a period of 6 months (October 2020 – March 2021). The project was supported by the video-sharing social network YouTube, and the awarding of grants was carried out by the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN).
- FOSM – Foundation Open Society – Macedonia (fosm.mk) in the period from July to December 2018.
- In addition, the Metamorphosis Foundation and Truthmeter started collaborating with the social network Facebook, making the Truthmeter portal a partner in the global third-party fact-checking program on this social network on the territory of North Macedonia, along with a dozen other fact-checking organizations worldwide.
By launching Truthmeter in 2011, as well as the previous web app Glasomer.mk (glasomer.mk), Metamorphosis Foundation continued the regional cooperation with the civic associations Why Not from Bosnia and Herzegovina and LiNet from Serbia on the use of new technologies for greater transparency, supported by NED, as part of the democracy development efforts in the region. Metamorphosis continues the cooperation with organizations operating in this field through the ACTION SEE regional network and the global International Fact-Checking Network.